Saturday, April 7, 2007

things I accomplished today

I made the big move of actually signing up for PRIDE classes this week. They start in about nine days. I'm pretty excited, but they will be taking up two or three of my Saturdays, as well as Monday and Thursday evenings. With that in mind, I've been planning to go to town on getting projects done over the next two weekends. Today was not quite the productivity bonanza I was hoping for, but I did do the following:
*installed lock on bathroom door
*installed three smoke detectors (kitchen, and both rooms that might be potential kid rooms)
*installed fire extinguisher (please note: I purchased this fire extinguisher 3 years ago when I moved in. It has been sitting on the dining room floor ever since. Nothing like a little motivation. . .)
*ordered kid-friendly bedding from Land's End on massive discount (when I actually get an adoption placement I'll probably let the kid pick out something they like, but I think I would like to do respite while I wait and I think these will definitely work for that)
*bought a copy of Sorry! at the thrift store for 50 cents
*looked around the thrift stores for kid furniture. Found a bunk bed by Stanley Furniture for $250. It has drawers underneath, so I think it's pretty cool. I didn't buy it, but I am seriously thinking about it. Here's to hoping it is still there on Monday!
*looked at the ReUse store for a door to my bedroom. It turns out that normal doors are 36" wide, while my doorway is only 35" wide. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do about that.

Still to do this weekend:
*finish stupid paper
*start filling out mountains of adoption/foster paperwork

A couple of days ago I ordered a bunch of books: Parenting the Hurt Child, Adopting the Hurt Child, Adoptive Parenting, and Attaching in Adoption. I'm trying to get the most recommended titles out there.

One of the books I read said that I should keep track of when I was feeling positive or negative about adopting, and try to keep track of what brought on those feelings. I've realized that I get a lot more stressed out and anxious about this decision when I start thinking about taking on a boy or kids under about 13/14. That cool boy sibling group I was interested in still sounds interesting, but I'm probably not up for a seven year old boy. I've got to keep repeating that to myself, even when the young'uns and the boys look awfully intriguing.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Bit by bit. That's the best way to handle all the paperwork. I cranked through mine pretty quickly, but that's because it was a cake walk compared to the dossier I had to put together for my Russian adoption. :-)

I think it's great that you know what age and gender would fit best with your life. I've had a lot of people ask me why I want a little boy (instead of a girl considering I'm a single woman). There's no good answer -- it's just what I want, what's "in my heart." (Sorry for the cheesy phrase.)

Yondalla said...

I'm right with you about the age thing! I know there are people who want little kids, but send me the 15-year-old boys, please!

Yondalla said...

I don't have your email, so this is the only way I can respond...

Inspiring you was my only goal with that post!